You are here: Home / Contact Us / Vacancies
The Tribunal seeks suitably qualified candidates to fill in the following position:-
The National Consumer Tribunal (The Tribunal) was established in 2006 in terms of section 26(1) of the National Credit Act, No. 34 od 2005. The National Consumer Tribunal is an independent adjudicative body with jurisdiction throughout the Republic. Its purpose is to adjudicate on credit and consumer related matters provided for in the National Credit Act (NCA) and the Consumer Protection Act (CPA), and to rule on alleged contraventions of these Acts.
Position Reports to: COO
The purpose of the position is to provide leadership, management and overall responsibilities of business functions such as HR and Facilities, Risk and Compliance and Corporate Relations. The incumbent will be responsible for developing and implementing day to day functions across the Corporate Services Department as well as guiding the department on a strategic level. The incumbent will work closely with other members of the Executive Team as well as middle management in the Corporate Services department, to achieve and maintain the standards set forth by the Tribunal
· Postgraduate qualification in Business Management, Human Resource or Related Field. MBA qualification would be advantageous;
· At least 10 years’ experience, of which at least 5 years should be on senior management level, in a multi-discipline environment. Should have been responsible for overseeing at least one of the following department:
o Risk and Compliance
· Proven business and financial acumen,
Experience in creating human capital frameworks and strategies,
· General management skills,
· Knowledge and experience in Labour Relations organisational planning, organisation development, risk management,
· Knowledge of accounting principles, procedural rules and processes and PFMA;
· An effective leader with both long term strategy development and delivery and daily hands on involvement,
· An individual of integrity who is trustworthy and who displays empathy and compassion when appropriate,
· Ability to adapt to changes and embrace new ideas,
· Resilient when faced with challenges,
· Planning methods and techniques,
· Business analysis and interpretation,
· Analytical thinking skills,
· Excellent communication and people management skills,
· Proactive individual,
The successful applicant will be required to:
· Provide strategic leadership in the development and implementation of Human Resources & Facilities, Risk and Compliance and Corporate Services strategies for the NCT;
· Ensure that Human Resources & Facilities, Risk and Compliance and Corporate Services strategies business plans are reviewed on an annual basis;
· Implement and develop strategies, objectives and processes in relation to the business unit plans with the support of middle management reporting into the CSE position;
· Manage and direct the development and implementation of company’s goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each assigned service area;
· Assess and monitor workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement; direct and implement changes;
· Facilitate project implementation through line management;
· Participate in the Company’s strategic planning sessions, providing a key contribution on areas allocated to the CSE;
· Actively participate in the EXCO, ARC and HR Governance Committee sessions;
· Collate all Managerial reports for departments allocated to the CSE position;
· Provide direction and guidance to managers and staff to ensure implementation and maintenance of related policies and practices;
· Make innovative recommendations for future professional human resources and related practices, based on experience and in line with current legislation, to meet the needs of the organisation
· Facilitate the CSI Activities of the NCT
· Manage change management and organisational development activities with the support of the Snr HR Specialist;
· Drafting of Terms of Reference documentation for projects related to Corporate Services.
· Developing, implementing and maintaining an industrial relations context and policies for the NCT;
· Ensure compliance and keep abreast of changes in legislation, interpreting their potential impact on the Company’s strategic business decisions and keeping the Governance committees and EXCO updated on all legal matters related to departments allocated to the CSE;
· To develop, continuously improve and implement the organisations approach to risk management;
· Ensure a thorough awareness and understanding of legislation impacting the Tribunal such as LRA, Basic conditions of Employment Act, PFM and all other related legislation.
· Ensuring the risk of the Tribunal is mitigated on a continuous basis.
· Draft and review the corporate governance policy and strategy for the NCT and advise the COO and EXCO on the implementation thereof;
· Monitor and assist the different Units in the implementation of the corporate governance policy and strategy;
· Ensure that monthly and quarterly risk reports are compiled.
· Ensure that the NCT complies with corporate governance
· best practice and all relevant statutes and regulations;
· Benchmark the NCT against other institutions to ensure that Tribunal’s corporate governance is in line with best practice;
· Compile quarterly reports on corporate governance issues, advise Exco and the Chairperson of appropriate corporate governance procedures;
· Prepare risk reports, audit finding reports, dashboard reports etc. and ensure that all reports have supporting performance information or reference to the information;
· Audit existing NCT contracts on a regular basis and advise in general compliance and other risks associated therewith;
· Oversee internal and external annual audit process in conjunction with the Compliance and Secretariat Specialist;
· Oversee and ensure NCT monthly, quarterly and annual reporting on or before due dates;
· Ensure compliance with the Shareholders compact
· To oversee that all travel and accommodation arrangements have been made within the required timeframe;
· To oversee venue and arrangements;
· To ensure that all concerns raised regarding travel and accommodation are dealt with timeously;
· To ensure that travel arrangement and all logistical arrangements have been done within the guidelines of applicable policies.
· Take full responsibility for recruitment processes on Senior Management (EXCO) level in conjunction with the HR Specialist.
· Manage the overall recruitment processes within the NCT in conjunction with the HR Specialist
· Ensure Corporate Services department is adequately staffed
· Assume responsibility for the direction and management of the senior executive recruitment for NCT, as well as company policies to ensure that the company attracts, retains and proactively develops a high performance capability within all levels of staff;
· Continuous updating of human resources planning, succession planning and retention strategies;
· Continuous updating strategies for attracting and retaining key talent in the Company.
· Take responsibility for training and mentoring initiatives on Senior Management level.
· Ensure that performance management processes and systems are in place and adhered to by all Line managers;
· Manage performance of subordinates in accordance with agreed key results areas/outputs
· Ensure at all times that Company and Statutory regulations of the Occupational Health & Safety Act are adhered to;
· To report and take action on Health and Safety concern when needed;
· Oversee the overall upkeep and maintenance of the office.
· Identifying gaps to optimise communication channels with internal and external stakeholders;
· Provide guidance to SLO in order to facilitate the generation of a positive image as well as favourable and appropriate awareness of “brand NCT” amongst South African Consumers;
· Ensure the professional branding of marketing/communication material, which should be easily available and accessible at all times;
· Manage institutional relations between the Tribunal and its stakeholders in conjunction with the SLO;
· Support the EC and COO in regards to strategic engagements;
· Reviewing of all documents relating to Corporate Relations before distribution to the EC
· Cost effective utilisation of the strategic HR/Risk and Compliance and Corporate Relations budget in conjunction with the COO.
· Contribute to the overall profitability and development of the Company by leading and shaping activities allocated to Corporate Services
· Management of staff within the unit according to NCT values ensuring that the working environment contributes to improving staff morale and increasing productivity;
· Manage staff, labour relations, leave and all other human resource functions within the unit;
· Manage performance of direct reportees ensuring agreement of annual goals, measuring performance against agreed goals and dealing with non-performance according;
· Ensure that the delegations within the unit are compiled with;
· Oversee service delivery of subordinates according to Batho Pele principles and NCT values;
· Provide feedback and have meetings with staff in the unit
· No late applications will be considered.
· The Tribunal reserves the right not to fill any of the positions.
Submission of Applicants
· Please email a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) to email@example.com Or for more information contact the HR & Facilities Manager, Ms M Nel at (012) 742-9900.
Closing Date: 24 February 2017 (16h00)
The Registrar is responsible for managing the Registrar’s Office and ensuring effective case and records management, as well as high performance in the unit. The Registrar is also responsible for providing case and support to Tribunal members. The services also include providing guidance on policy and legislation amendments across the Tribunal and also contribute to knowledge and case management systems of the Tribunal. The Registrar is also expected to provide advice with regard to corporate governance and the management of service providers serving the Tribunal.
· Must have strong ability to research information and excellent analytical skills
· Excellent communication skills – written and verbal with proven ability to interpret and apply legislation.
· Good understanding of Record management Practices.
· Must have excellent computer skills with an ability to work independently and lead staff
· Must be outputs driven with an ability to meet deadlines.
· Good understanding of legislation relating to public entities, including the PFMA, corporate governance, compliance, labour relations and contract management
· Manage the case management process of the Tribunal to ensure that cases are effectively and expeditiously dealt with.
· Manage the Research programme of the Tribunal
· Manage and track Tribunal cases
· Analyse cases and evaluate complex case information
· Provide research support to Tribunal members
· Render support to the Tribunal members on cases relating to issues of set- down, case discussions, pre-trials and hearings.
· Manage the communications and relations with the various parties on the cases.
· Analyse case statistics to manage performance and trends.
· Manage the taxation of bills of costs.
· Conduct extensive research on specified topics (national and international) on cases for the Tribunal members and offer advice to members.
· Assist with capacity building initiatives
· Develop, implement, maintain and update strategies, plans, policies and procedures (including Standard Operating Procedures) for the Registrar’s Office.
· Ensure that the NCT policies are implemented and complied with.
· Compile management reports on compliance with overall policies
· Develop the business processes for the Registrar’s Office.
· Provide advice on policy compliance and legislative changes.
· Provide legal advice and support to the Tribunal in respect of Corporate Governance, compliance, Labour Relations, Contract management and outsourced legal services.
· Oversee litigation against or by the Tribunal
· Provide legal opinions.
· Manage the staff, in terms of performance, labour relations, leave and all other management functions.
· Ensure that the delegations are complied with and that there is proper delegation within the unit.
· Provide feedback and have meetings with staff in the unit.
· Effectively manage projects to ensure that timeframes are met
· Manage the analysis of complaints and enquiries.
· Implement business plan outputs, risks action plan and audit findings as per agreed timeframes.
· Manage the reporting functions of the unit and ensure that the required performance information is reliable and valid.
· Consolidate management reports on compliance with overall policies.
· Manage the service providers rendering service to the Registrar’s Office.
· Participate in EXCO meetings, workshops, sessions and provide valuable input.
· Perform any functions as required by the Executive Chairperson / Chief Operations Officer from time to time within agreed timeframes.